To that end, if we want to be successful in any area of our
lives, it is in our best interests to develop the most effective,
success promoting habits possible.
There is no substitute for feeling good and knowing you’re in a
position to give your best effort. Taking care of yourself is a
must for success in anything and everything you endeavor to
2. Cultivate and maintain a productive attitude/mindset. Never underestimate the impact of your attitude or mindset. How you approach each day and the challenges you encounter will inevitably directly affect your outcome.
For example, if you wake up feeling that nothing works out for you, that the world is against you, that life is unfair or that no one supports you – make no mistake, nothing will work out and it will seem like everything is against you.
On the other hand, if you begin the day with a 'can do' mindset,
one that says you will take on with gusto whatever comes your way,
it will feel like nothing is impossible. Even if everything
doesn't work out as planned, you will know that you gave it your
3. Challenge yourself. There is nothing like challenging yourself mentally, physically and intellectually to clear out those proverbial cobwebs. When you challenge yourself you remain alert, ready and capable to tackle adversity and obstacles.
Additionally, you put yourself in the best position to prevail and overcome. Ways to challenge yourself mentally, include learning a new skill, playing chess, Sudoku, or working out crossword puzzles. Not only do these activities sharpen your mental skills, they are fun!
For intellectual challenge, it's beneficial to read or explore anything that makes you think or look at a situation in a new way. Reading the works of scientists, philosophers and psychologists is both interesting and intellectually stimulating.
Physically you can challenge yourself by incorporating some
resistance and cardiovascular exercises into your routine.
Resistance exercises build muscle, while cardiovascular exercises such as walking,
jogging or climbing stairs boost your metabolism, strengthen your
heart and generally improve your overall well being. Being fit and
in shape has the benefit of enhancing both your mental and
4. Engage with others.When we engage with others we open up ourselves to new experiences, expand our knowledge and deepen human connection. Studies have shown that as social beings, when we interact with others, it changes the circuit activity and neurotransmitters in our brains. It decreases stress and anxiety while increasing calm and happy feelings (oxytocin, referred to often as the love hormone, is released when we bond with others).
5. Recommit to self discipline. Every now and then we all fall off the self discipline wagon; however, after doing so, we have to remind ourselves that in order to accomplish anything, or sustain a high level of performance we must recommit to self discipline.
As mentioned in my article Self-Discipline - The Foundation for Success, not only does self-discipline allow you to reach your goals in a reasonable time frame, it makes it possible to live a more orderly and satisfying life. Successful people practice the power habit of self discipline.
6. Expand your comfort zone. Expanding your comfort zone gives you the opportunity to test your limits and tap into your inner, sometimes undiscovered, resources.
When you're willing to venture beyond that which is safe and
comfortable, you increase what is possible. Conversely, not trying
new things or playing it too safe causes stagnation and thwarts
creativity and innovation.
7. Set up a power habit journal. Setting up a power habit journal is a great way to remind yourself of your successes and to motivate you to continue to stretch your talents and abilities. Journaling also documents and articulates your dreams, ambitions and aspirations.
If you take the time to incorporate these 7 Power Habits as a regular part of your routine, you will experience the positive results that lead to continued and sustainable personal success.