Instead, they are a result of many factors including willingness to adapt, a willingness to work and an unshakeable belief in oneself. In addition to these three important characteristics:
1. Build and maintain success habits. Indisputably, the
most successful people in life have developed and continue to
good habits. These habits include: taking care of health both
and mental; engaging in self-discipline and integrity, and
Interestingly, most successful people track their habits. Knowing
where and how much time they spend on a particular habit helps
prioritize better and spend their time more wisely.
2. Set goals. Decide what you want and go after it! In
to get what you want in life you must set goals. In the course of
setting your goals, devise an action plan and then resolve to
accomplish something each day to move towards it.
As the famous eastern philosopher Lao
Tzu put forth: "The journey of a thousand miles begins with
In 1970, Dr. Edward Banfield of Harvard University, after
studies on success and priority setting, wrote that the most
determinant of personal and financial success is having a
perspective"(i.e. setting goals). He found that the longer a
took in planning and acting, the more likely it was that he/she
achieve personal and career success.
For more on setting goals enjoy article: Effective
3. Learn from others. None of us has the time or will be
around long enough to figure everything out for ourselves. There
many wise and experienced teachers, both past and present, who
expertise to guide us through our journey to success. Learn, read
study the works of others to enrich your own understanding of what
need to know in order to get where you want to be.
4. Be flexible. Rarely in life do things go according to plan, therefore cultivating psychological flexibility is a must for any type of success. On the road to success, it is crucial to be able to re-evaluate and re-adjust your plans when conditions for which you have no control over change.
To that end flexibility keeps you from getting stuck. It helps you brainstorm and opens you up to more possibilities and opportunities. It helps deal with change and uncertainty.
Indeed, there are many unpredictable and unforeseeable
that present themselves on the road to success so the ability to
flexible is invaluable.
5. Believe in yourself. Unfortunately, when you don't believe in yourself and your potential, it is unlikely that anyone else will either. Unknowingly, negative thoughts you may have about yourself and your abilities reveal themselves in your behavior and body language. As a consequence, this tends to hinder your efforts.
Similarly, when you don't believe in yourself rather than controlling an event and your role in it, you become controlled by the circumstances.
Fortunately, there are many ways you can cultivate
belief in yourself including remembering past accomplishments (we
have some), working hard, staying positive and understanding that
success does not
6. Never give up. In the words of Winston Churchill;
never, never give up!" Know that anything worthwhile is not easy
come by. More often than not, achieving success is an uphill
challenges, adversity and obstacles.
As I cite in my article, "The
of Persistence," the important quote by Calvin
says it all:
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
7. Be respectful and considerate of others. First of all, there is no substitute for the Golden Rule. Secondly, if we want to build or have success in any type of relationship, whether it's personal, business, or otherwise, we must respect and be considerate of others.
Certainly, no one wants to deal with a know-it-all, bully or
self-centered person. Likewise, in any relationship there must be
reciprocal giving, sharing and support. Indeed, good relationships
the hallmarks of a successful career and a well-balanced life.
The above 7 critical keys to success are fundamental to long term and sustainable success. Study, acquire, and practice them and you will be well on your way!